Certain things are best when kept classic.
Vanilla sponge cake is one of them. It’s the lightest and one of the most loved flavours to savour. Besides, even if you aren’t too fond of baking, this hassle free cake won’t take much of your time to be baked when you crave for some ‘sweetness’ in your life.
Here’s a quick vanilla sponge cake recipe to satiate your quick sweet tooth desires:
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Frosting time: 1 Hours
For the cake:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
For the cream:
- 375 grams unsalted butter, softened and cut into cubes
- 3 cups sifted Icing Sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) milk
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped or Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Here’s How You Can Prepare It:
- Pre-heat oven at 180⁰ Grease two 8-inch cake pan with butter and dust it with all-purpose flour.
- In a bowl, whisk the butter and sugar together until the mixture is creamy.Add 2 eggs, one at a time and beat them vigorously until each is incorporated.
- Now, combine flour and baking powder in the mixture and mix well.
- Next, pour in the aforementioned quantity of milk and mix until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Divide the batter into two and pour the mixture in the preheated pans and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
Note: Check the doneness of the cake by inserting the skewer into the center of the cake. If the cake is done, the skewer would come out clean.
Vanilla Bean Frosting
- Whip butter for 8 minutes on a medium speed in an electric mixer until the butter becomes creamy and pale.
- Now add the remaining ingredients and mix on low-speed for 1 minute and medium speed for 6 minutes. The frosting should become light, creamy and fluffy.
Vanilla Cake Assembly
- Place the bottom layer cake on the cake board and spread 1 cup vanilla frosting on it. Spread it evenly with a palette knife.
- Now, gently place the 2nd layer of the cake over the frosted 1st And again, generously spread frosting on top and sides and make it even throughout.
- Let the cake chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Your delicious vanilla cake is all set to be savoured with your friends and family.