The new year is here, so now we all have a reason to celebrate with a scrumptious cake. Celebrating the new year is extremely important, we agree but ending this year on a happier note is essential. New year’s eve celebration party would be incomplete without a scrumptious dessert! This time, for your new year’s eve celebration, how about doing something completely different and baking a deliciously amazing Cassata cake? Sounds interesting? Well, as intriguing as this sounds, making a cassata cake is literally a piece of cake. The recipe is a bit tricky but we are your dear friends who are here to make this tough recipe completely hassle-free for you. So read on and know how to make a scrumptiously dainty Happy new year cake.
Prep Time: 45 Mins Baking Time: 35 Mins Refrigeration: 4 Hours
Servings: 8 Delicious Slices
Now, First of all, you must gather all the ingredients necessary to make this toothsome cake and those are:
First, for the filling, you need:
- Two whole lemons, properly scraped and peeled
- 170 grams of sweetened choco chips
- Two and a half cups of powdered sugar
- One tiny teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Half teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 850 grams of Ricotta, preferably whole milk
Now for the cake, you need:
- One whole and a half cups of all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs, big and separated
- Two tablespoons of water
- Two big tablespoons of the fun potion- Rum
- Two sticks of unsalted and melted butter
- Two whole cups of granulated sugar
- Two tiny teaspoons of cornstarch
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- One teaspoon vanilla extract, separate from the filling ofcourse
- A pinch of salt, you can put in a little more according to your taste but we would advise otherwise.
- Three-fourth cup of milk
Now, finally, for the garnishing, you must have:
- 2 whole cups of whipped cream
- One tablespoon of rum again, you know for the added fun factor
- One-third cup of powdered sugar
- Few chocolate shavings or sprinkles, whatever you prefer
- Six strawberries, again you can skip it but they are delicious
- And lastly
- Six Maraschino Cherries
After gathering all the ingredients, let jump straight to making the cake!
- First of all, preheat your oven to 165° celsius. Take two cake pans and grease them up properly with butter or vegetable oil. Remember, cover the inside of the pan properly with butter or your cake can burn real bad.
- Next, take a bowl, pour cornstarch, flour, salt, and baking powder in it and mix them well.
- Keeping it aside, take another bowl and take the yolk of separated eggs into it, and beat it profusely to make a smooth yet thick paste of it. After that, add vanilla essence, grated sugar, and water and again mix all the ingredients properly.
- Now, pour the mixture with flour into the egg bowl and start beating until you get the desired consistency of a foamy batter. After that, in a separate bowl, take the egg whites and beat them with melted butter. Once done, pour this mixture into the foley batter you have prepared.
- Finally, divide the batter into the two prepared pans and bake it for around 25 to 27 minutes at 165° celsius. Once baked, check the cake with a toothpick, poke it in the cake, and if comes out clean, the cake is properly baked and you can keep it aside for cooling down.
Now, for the filling:
- The filling is an essential part of this cake, therefore do it with great concentration! First, take whole milk ricotta in a bowl and add vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and cinnamon into the mixing bowl and start whisking until the paste is completely lump-free and smooth.
- Once you are done, add the scrapped lemon and choco chips into and refrigerate the mixture.
Let’s put it together:
- After your cake is at room temperature, cut both the cakes evenly to make four even layers. Mix rum with water and apply the mixture gently on all the layers with a brush. Now take the filling batter and decide the batter in three equal parts.
- Take another pan and put the first layer of the cake in, pour the first part of the divided filling batter onto it, and spread evenly. Repeat the process until all the layers are done and then refrigerate the cake again for around 4 hours.
Lastly, to make it pretty:
- Take whipped cream, rum, and sugar in a bowl and beat it until you get that great frosting, and refrigerate it for some time. Once done, frost up the cake from all visible side and garnish it with cherries, strawberries, and chocolate shavings.
Your delicious cake is ready to make the last day of the year a memorable one! Enjoy the delicacy with the ones you love and happy new year from us!