“Teachers have three loves: love of learning, love of learners, and the love of bringing the first two loves together.” – Scott Hayden
With teacher’s day 2020 soon approaching us, here is an interesting blog designed for you. Over this blog, we will be talking about some of the eminent Bollywood actors who didn’t just steal our hearts with their commendable acting skills, but also made a way through their student’s hearts being their mentors. Yes, you heard us right. Each of the actors we will be covering today under this blog has been an educator or a loving teacher before exploring their world of cinema, movies and theatre in Sapno Ki Nagri – Mumbai. Check the list out.
- Anupam Kher – Born on 7 March 1955, this man owns and teaches very well in an acting school. Often his students were quite left in awe of him with his expertise or knowledge about cinema and movies. One of his students whom he taught was eminent Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone who is currently ruling the movie industry not just with her charm but also with her exceptional acting skills.
- Balraj Sahni – If you happen to be a crazy Bollywood movie buff, then you would have heard of some classic evergreen movies like Do Bigha Zameen, Anuradha and Kabuliwala. And if you have seen these movies, then you would know that we are talking about legendary Balraj Sahni and his works. Not many knew that late Balraj Sahni was a double master in English as well as in Hindi. In the 1930s, he came to Bengal looking for a job and ended up being a teacher at the prestigious Visva Bharati University.
- Tom Alter – An American descent who was awarded Padma Shri by the Government of India for his fantastic acting skills, Tom Alter used to work in St. Thomas School, Jagadhri (Haryana) as a cricket coach. The actor was known for his part in Shaktiman, Shatranj ke Khiladi, Ashiqui, Sarghoshiyan and other such blockbuster movies.
- Utpal Dutt – A popular Bengali actor who also starred in many Bollywood films like Shaukeen, Rang Birangi, Naram Garam and other such films, Utpal Dutt continued to teach as an English teacher at the South Point School in Kolkata.
- Kader Khan – The multi-talented Indian film actor, screenwriter, comedian, and director, Kader Khan was a teacher/ professor in the year 1970-75. He used to teach Civil Engineering at M. H. Saboo Siddik College of Engineering, Byculla, Mumbai. And thereafter, once he shifted to Dubai he used to teach Hindi to the student in a school.
- Akshay Kumar – Popularly known as the Khiladi of the Bollywood, Akshay Kumar aka Rajiv Hari Om Bhatia who himself dropped out of the school in order to pursue martial arts used to be a teacher. He went around the world to learn martial arts and once he returned back to Mumbai, India he started teaching martial arts to his students at some recognised school. His acting journey started even because of him choosing to be a teacher as one of his students ended up recommending him a modelling consignment which slowly steadily helped him establish himself the way he today is.
- Nandita Das – Born on 7 November 1969, Mumbai, this lady started teaching in Rishi Valley School of which she was the director. Nandita das completed her masters from the Delhi School of Social Work and then established herself as the director of this school and took up teaching as a part-time job for her theatre work. She has won many accolades for her performance in many feature films like Fire, Earth, Bawandar, Kannathil Muthamittal, Azhagi, Kamli, and Before The Rains.
- Chandrachur Singh – If you recently watched Aarya, the comeback series of Sushmita sen over Hotstar then you would have heard from your parents what a wonderfully charming actor was Chandrachur Singh, back in their time. This actor is known for his works like Josh, Maachis, Daag, etc, was a music teacher in Doon School before his acting career took off. Yes, you heard us singing teacher. No kidding!
- Kanwarjit Paintal – Remember movies like Kaalo, Satte Pe Satta, Bawarchi and Rufoo Chakkar? Kawarjit Paintal is the person we are talking about, here. He was a famous comedian who studied acting from The Film and Television Institute Of India and later became the head of that institute to impart knowledge about acting.
- Bob Christo – An Australian Indian actor and civil engineer, Bob Christo was well known for his movies like Mr India, Gumrah, Mard, Abdullah, etc. became a yoga instructor after leaving Bollywood and acting as a profession behind him.
So, these were the Bollywood celebrities who shaped the lives of many students being their source of inspiration, knowledge and much more.