We, humans born with a sweet tooth, have every reason to feel blessed because we live in a colossal world of sweet confections. Every time you think you had a bite of every dessert you could think of; there is one or two more left for you to taste. On the list of must-haves is a puff pastry.
Unlike the pastry cake that is creamy and layered, puff pastry light with flaky layers and buttery feels. The tender texture and feel of the puff pastry make it the favourite of many to have it any time of the day. If you think it’s something to be bought from the grocery store, then you need to know that it can be made at home from the scratch.
Before we start with the puff pastry recipe, some bakers tips you need to know:
1.Butter is layered inside the dough for creating several flaky layers. In the baking world, it is known as lamination.
2.Cold butter is used because the steam released during baking causes the layers to separate and the pastry to puff up
3. Keep the pastry cold at all times.
How to make puff pastry at home
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Chill Time: 3 hrs
- Total Time: 3-4 hrs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup of cold water
- 1 ¼ cup unsalted butter, cold
- Whisk flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Cut the ¼ inch slices of the butter and add to the flour, tossing to coat.
- Stir in cold water to form a thick dough
- Gather the dough, flatten it in a circular shape, and plastic wrap it.
- Chill for one hour in the fridge or 20-30 minutes in the freezer.
- Unwrap the dough. Dust the baking slab with flour and roll out the dough. Make a rectangular shape.
- Fold the dough into a letter shape. Turn 90 degrees, roll and fold.
- Repeat the steps 2-4 times and wrap and refrigerate it for 2 hours or overnight.
- Bake the pastry in a hot oven before serving.
How To Serve Puff Pastry?
- Bake puff pastry and sandwich around whipped cream, topped with seasonal fruits
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar, cut into slices and bake.
- Sandwich around jam and dust with powdered sugar
- Cut into rings, fry hot, and garnish with flavourful ingredients for drool-worthy doughnuts.